Recoded: 13 July 2007
Locations: Prague, Czech Republic
Tags: tol, activism, hacktivism, new media, central asia, freedom, citizen journalism
Music: Everything's Got 'Em by Harry Nilsson
About: For the first extended stay was in Prague, where I taught a corse on new media journalism for Transitions Online. On the last day, I interviewed Jeremy Druker, Executive Director, and Evgeny Morozov, Director of New Media.
it's been two days since i've eaten a real meal. two nights ago, i headed out with hayal pozanti and her two friends, gokce and matan. after bouncing around from a street cafe, to an open air cafe, we climbed into an elevator to a roof top cafe for a taste of traditional turkish delights and anisette. covered in yogurt and rich sauces, we dinned in blissful content.
around 1am, we strung up our sails and departed to our abodes.
after a few hours of delightful dreams, i found my self in a place like none other. surround by unspeakable horror, i struggled to pull my self from the nightmare on elm street horror into the real world.
my eyes opened, my head swelled and my mouth filled. lucky, i was able to jimmy the door open, and rock my head toward what this hostel called a toilet. needless to say, you can put the rest together.
(warning, graphic content ahead... but like that night, if i don't get it out now... you might never make it to the plot...)
every thirty minutes or so, i found myself in another unpleasant world; desiring i was not shackled to a six room dorm room with five other unhappy, i managed to make it to the bathroom.
after the first hour, i howled every imaginable curse world and drank two liters of water.
after the second hour, i debated calling an ambulance and in between the dry heaves, munched four tablets of pepto and drank another liter of water.
during the third hour, i prayed, shat my pants and with all my might extruded the three or so liters that sat unpleasantly within my system.
somewhere among all those things. something worked. something unexplainable worked. for lack of a better term a miracle...
back in 1996, a similar incident happened, sans the alcohol part. for 48 hours, i convulsed in an american university dorm room. depleted of everything, i was rushed to the emergency room and placed under 24 hour supervision.
back in 1996, my father rushed from ohio to take care me...
alone. cold. rotting in hostel more apropo to a squat. i wondered what would take care of me this time...
one of the more interesting parts of this journey has been the discussion of faith. from the jewish quarter in prague, to a brief mash-up discussion on the streets of paris, to dries and an intimate conversation about baptism, to a punk rock bar in amsterdam drinking with three dutch jews and debating Mormonism, to openly debating religion in istanbul...
faith has become a current, but my faith does not have a title, name or singular belief. when i departed, i set out not knowing what i will find, but knowing what i will change me and embolden my faith....
... but if i was to discuss religion, what faith do i espouse?
... do i say i was a catholic, because my parents baptized me when i was born?
... am i mormon because i was raised in the mormon church and know it best?
... do i say i'm i a Buddhist, since i once studied it?
... i'm not just agnostic ...
BUT what i will say... faith comes in all different shapes and colors. don't be afraid of your passions, desires and most importantly your beliefs. refuse to take the world at it's face value... prove to yourself that mind is stronger than matter. if you want to change your world... take it by the horns and run!
four flights have been confirmed... i'll be departing nyc on 7/7/07 at 9pm, arrive in barcelona for a six hours. then, i'll depart for pamplona for a bit of bit of bull running. after 22 hours on the ground, i'll depart for prague to help teach a week long course and snag a few interviews...
during this leg, i'm only going to need one lovely couch and a guide around pamplona... i wonder how many couches are available?
Reservation of the flights:
Date: Saturday, July 07, 2007
From: New York John F Kennedy International Terminal 7
To: Barcelona Terminal B
Date: Sunday, July 08, 2007
From: Barcelona Terminal C
Date: Monday, July 09, 2007
From: Pamplona Departing: 12:00
To: Madrid Barajas Terminal 4
Date: Monday, July 09, 2007
From: Madrid Barajas Terminal 4S
To: Prague Ruzyne Terminal N2 Arriving: 17:40
I plan on starting my trip in Europe. From 7/8 July to 7/8 Aug, I will bounce around looking to cover as much as possible. If you have something to add, please feel free!
== '''Week 1''' ==
* '''08 July''' - 1 hour in Barcelona
* '''08 - 09 July''' - 22 hours in [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamplona Pamplona] for [http://www.sanfermin.com/2006/guia.php?lang=eng&sec=6 Running of the Bulls], i'm in need of a guide and couch to crash
* i never found internet and there for never met up with [http://www.couchsurfing.com/profile.html?id=1SALGCA Lauryn Dempsey]
* '''09 - 14 July''' - Flight to Prague to teach at [http://www.tol.cz Transitions Online]'s [http://www.tol.cz/look/TOL/article_courses.tpl?IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=23&NrIssue=7&NrSection=10&NrArticle=18144 New Media Essentials] (thanks [http://www.tol.cz/look/TOL/article_courses.tpl?IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=23&NrIssue=7&NrSection=60&NrArticle=18300 Evgeny Morozov])
* castle Konopiste
== '''Week 2''' ==
* '''14 - 18 July''' - Berlin, Germany
* Meet with [http://travisjtodd.com Travis J. Todd] and Freelance/[http://wiki.coworking.info/Coworking+Berlin Coworking Berlin] community
* Interview regine from http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/
* tour the [http://www.theberlinpaper.com/berlinguide/27482.html subway bunker]
* [http://www.kunstraumkreuzberg.de/start.html street art festival]
* '''19 - 22 July'''
* '''London, UK'''
* hang out with Joey Baxter and [http://www.designswarm.com Alex Deschamps-Sonsino]
* [http://opennetworkers.pbwiki.com Steve Purkis]
* Mongol Rally and profile team [http://mrdinosaur.org/ Mr. Dinosaur]
* check out [http://tinkerit.eventwax.com/h3-hardcore-hardware-hacking Hardcore Hardware Hacking Weekend]
* '''Brighton, UK'''
* Profile [http://www.tacticaltech.org Tactical Tech] and Dirk Slater.
* Visit [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrophenia_%28film%29 Quadrophina] locations
== '''Week 3''' ==
* '''23 - 25 July''' - Paris, France
* Interviews with Barcamp and Coworking community. [http://wiki.coworking.info/CoworkingParis Paris Coworking]
* [http://www.couchsurfing.com/organization.html?gid=4065 Couchsurfing Collective Paris 2007 Project]
* Meetup with Eric-Olivier Lamey
* '''26 July''' - Antwerp, Belgium
* Interview with [http://buytaert.net/ Dries Buytaert] Drupal founder and pioneer of open source
* '''27 - 30 July''' - Amsterdam, NL
* hangout with [http://termie.jaiku.com/ andy smith] and friends
* profile individuals at [http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/219415/ RoomWare DevHuis 6] at [http://www.wakoopa.com/ wakoopa's office]
== '''Week 4 & 5''' ==
* '''31 July''' - Eindoven, NL
* profile and hang out with [http://unraveled.com/ Joshua Kauffman]
* '''1 - 8 Aug''' - Istanbul, Turkey [http://wiki.couchsurfing.com/en/Turkey CS info]
* Hostel - http://www.chillouthc.com @ 10 euros a night
* [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cistern basilica cistern]
* [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Bazaar,_Istanbul grand bazaar]
* [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Sophia Hagia Sophia]
* [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Ahmed_Mosque the blue mosque]
* erdal aka [http://www.couchsurfing.com/profile.html?id=2I8S7TP eternity and a day]
* kenan aka [http://www.couchsurfing.com/people/keyno keyno]
* isa aka [http://www.couchsurfing.com/people/isafakir ISAFAKIR]
* still looking for more couchsurfers...