in just a few short days i will be in hawaii. that's right, in just a few days i will be in the United States of America. i'm heading back to the USA (pronounced OOOH-SSSA) to scratch off one of the two states i haven't visited (hawaii), sniff the followers and partake in the great American road trip.
coincidentally, hawaii and my reason for being back in the USA have a lot in common. in short, both are younger brothers - hawaii being the youngest of "the Union" and Joel Hidalgo being the youngest brother my parents have told me about. both are islands of culture surround by an unknown worlds. both are skinner and have had more girlfriends than i. in the next few weeks i will share beer with both of them.
hopping back into the USA is also an important milestone, it marks my halfway mark, and the smaller milestone of me circumnavigating the globe!
my plans for America are a bit different than the rest - they actually have quite a few people and locations to visit.
when i land on the continent, i will have three weeks to make it from oakland/SF to seattle - back to san francisco to Lodi (michael david wineries) to LA through san bernindio / loma linda (where i was born) to las vegas. in vegas, i want to pick up route 66, throw her over my shoulder and marry her. seeing how that's impossible, i'll follow her perfume through the plain states detouring in kansas to hop on I-70 and high tail it to ohio. through this long winded three week continental drift, i will have the least amount of money to spend, and will be purely dependent on contributions (ie meals, floors, couches, etc...).
the offer still stands if you want to join me... you just have to pay your own way, or fundraise your own way... but you are more than welcome to join me.
to ensure proper documentation and to give you a un-holds-bars voyeuristic view of my road life, i want to go live 24/7. sure you've seen it with justin.tv and justina.tv but this is noneck.tv. this is the guy who's dared to enter the lions den of Amsterdam, ride a bicycle, crash into a trolly track and live. this is a guy who has no qualms walking into a strip bar dressed like your stereotypical sheik to buy everyone a beer (offer only applies in the following countries - beerastan!) this is the guy who braved the israeli/jordainan border. this is the guy who braved cairo's dinners, contracted a 110° fever and lived. this is the guy who rode michael jackson to the prymids of giza (yes, i did use a saddle thank you berry much!). this is the same guy who walked phenom phen without a firearm. this is the same guy who's walked into cities across the globe not knowing where he'll sleep. this is the same guy who ate food off the floor after the 15 second rule. this is the same guy who's going to provide YOU a rockin four week road trip across America.
are you ready? are you ready to go live? (tap, tap, tap.) is this thing on?
if you're a corporate entity who has the wherewithal to provide a "capital investment" i'm willing to cut a deal. i'm ready to go cobranded. we take your logo plus my 24/7 show and for the entire time i'm in the USA, you'll have me as a walking, talking, internet loving advertisement. i'll even wear your corporate logo/badge/loin cloth/cheesehead/etc... as long as you let me keep the copy "open" AND i retain the rights to all footage shot during this time period. if you're interested, keep reading...
thanks for reading, i now have less than two weeks to convince you to pay for two things...
1. an awesome headset setup / service like justin.tv to bring you the LIVE american adventure. if you're willing to buy it, set it up and get it ready we'll start the show from your office.
2. a rental car (hybrid or zero-emitions please) and gas or electricity to putter from here to there. otherwise, just give me a boat load of batteries and i'll hitchhike. if i do hitchhike, i'll also need a gps so you can give you my last coordinates to pick up my body.
how does that sound? oh and mind you i'm also heading south, so if you're willing to pay for the bandwith i'm willing to go live on my south american journey... (can you hear me now?)
(Route 66 Motel photo by flickr user dawnnakaya)
EEK! time constrains and good old mental health have made me change my plans. here is my updated itinerary.
My fifth continent is North America. From November to December, I will bounce around looking to cover as much as possible. If you have something to add, please feel free!
* [http://abetterplacetowork.com/ workspace]
* [http://www.raincitystudios.com/ Rain City Studios]
* [http://www.bryght.com/ Bryght]
* '''Seattle, WA'''
* profile some freelancers who want to start up [http://wiki.coworking.info/CoworkingSeattle Coworking Seattle]
* '''San Francisco, CA'''
* the guys at [http://chapterthreellc.com chapter three llc]
* profile [http://www.citizenagency.com/ citizen agency] duo
* founders of barcamp
* [http://wiki.coworking.info/SanFranciscoCoworking Coworking SF]
* '''Lodi, CA'''
* visit [http://www.lodivineyards.com/ Michael and David Vineyard]
== '''Week 19''' ==
* '''Los Angles, CA'''
* photohunt with [http://www.myspace.com/mojavesky123 julia]
* '''Las Vegas'''
* to visit [http://podcasts.yahoo.com/series?s=c57f45f806fbb7afa1a84cf081cfcc3c double barrel sound system]
* '''Road trip''' across the US following [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66 Route 66]
* '''Manhattan, KS'''
* profile Professor [http://www.mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/ Mike Wesch] fellow salzburg instructor and creator of [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLlGopyXT_g the machine is us/ing us]
== '''Week 20''' ==
* '''Dayton, Ohio'''
* Little brother''s college graduation & Thanksgiving with my parents
* try to meet up with [http://www.couchsurfing.com/profile.html?id=1E2J13K Lauren Strasser]
* try to meet up with meet up [http://instone.org/ Keith Instone], IBM web UI guy
== '''Week 21''' ==
* '''Southern part of USA'''
* ''Austin, TX''
* [http://www.whurley.com Whurley]
* [http://fourkitchens.com Four Kitchen Studios] and their alt-weekly paper http://thatotherpaper.com
== '''Week 22''' ==
* '''Central America'''
== '''week 30/31''' ==
* Travel back to NYC
=== Wonder to Visit ===
* Empire State Building
* Golden Gate Bridge
=== Seas to Sail ===
* North Pacific
* North Atlantic
== Events to Attend ==
* Groundhog''s Day, 2 Feb, http://www.groundhog.org/