i'll be in belfast, northern ireland friday morning for TN2020 (more info on noneck.org) and need a place to stay for one night. anyone have a spare couch for one night?
despite the fact i left berlin 45 mins late i was still abel to catch a train that seemed to be on the right time table to brussles. exhausted from sleeping on a hard bench, i geefully boarded what appeared to be my first class train.
little did i know that the wonderfully plush seats, smell of fresh coffee and abundant power outlets would not be my train. in a vain attempt to save 15 euro, i gladly said i would take local trains from klone to brussels... i should have known better. i really should have known better.
after pay 60 euro for a meal i didn't want to regurgitate, an electrical outlet i couldn't part with and a train i couldn't disembark, i tag, flagged and prepared for the next few days in the United Kingdom.
on my last journey, i was heading home from a salzburg seminar and had just paid 250 euro for a stupid belt knife to be confiscated in munich. before that, august of 2002. the US had just invaded Afghanistan, and the world was ripe in solidarity. young and inexperienced, i traveled to from boston to the Isle of Wight for a "little" scooter rally, spent a new days in london and also visited amsterdam.
five years later things are significantly different. now there is no home. now there is no warm bed waiting for me on the other side of the pond. now my world blessed a few days jammed packed with interviews, workshops, meetups and naps.
i'm really looking forward to being back in london to kick out the jams with...
- Joey Baxter, fellow coworking enthusiast.
- Alex Deschamps-Sonsino, fellow Lift 06 attendant and one of the organizers of Hardcore Hardware Hacking Weekend.
somewhere with in that mix, i need to edit some video and desperately need to wash three pairs of socks. while in berlin, i was going to purchase flip-flops, but with my extra special train ticket behind me... i think i'll pass... that's unless i find a shoe store that's willing sponsor my feet! ;)
I plan on starting my trip in Europe. From 7/8 July to 7/8 Aug, I will bounce around looking to cover as much as possible. If you have something to add, please feel free!
== '''Week 1''' ==
* '''08 July''' - 1 hour in Barcelona
* '''08 - 09 July''' - 22 hours in [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamplona Pamplona] for [http://www.sanfermin.com/2006/guia.php?lang=eng&sec=6 Running of the Bulls], i'm in need of a guide and couch to crash
* i never found internet and there for never met up with [http://www.couchsurfing.com/profile.html?id=1SALGCA Lauryn Dempsey]
* '''09 - 14 July''' - Flight to Prague to teach at [http://www.tol.cz Transitions Online]'s [http://www.tol.cz/look/TOL/article_courses.tpl?IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=23&NrIssue=7&NrSection=10&NrArticle=18144 New Media Essentials] (thanks [http://www.tol.cz/look/TOL/article_courses.tpl?IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=23&NrIssue=7&NrSection=60&NrArticle=18300 Evgeny Morozov])
* castle Konopiste
== '''Week 2''' ==
* '''14 - 18 July''' - Berlin, Germany
* Meet with [http://travisjtodd.com Travis J. Todd] and Freelance/[http://wiki.coworking.info/Coworking+Berlin Coworking Berlin] community
* Interview regine from http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/
* tour the [http://www.theberlinpaper.com/berlinguide/27482.html subway bunker]
* [http://www.kunstraumkreuzberg.de/start.html street art festival]
* '''19 - 22 July'''
* '''London, UK'''
* hang out with Joey Baxter and [http://www.designswarm.com Alex Deschamps-Sonsino]
* [http://opennetworkers.pbwiki.com Steve Purkis]
* Mongol Rally and profile team [http://mrdinosaur.org/ Mr. Dinosaur]
* check out [http://tinkerit.eventwax.com/h3-hardcore-hardware-hacking Hardcore Hardware Hacking Weekend]
* '''Brighton, UK'''
* Profile [http://www.tacticaltech.org Tactical Tech] and Dirk Slater.
* Visit [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrophenia_%28film%29 Quadrophina] locations
== '''Week 3''' ==
* '''23 - 25 July''' - Paris, France
* Interviews with Barcamp and Coworking community. [http://wiki.coworking.info/CoworkingParis Paris Coworking]
* [http://www.couchsurfing.com/organization.html?gid=4065 Couchsurfing Collective Paris 2007 Project]
* Meetup with Eric-Olivier Lamey
* '''26 July''' - Antwerp, Belgium
* Interview with [http://buytaert.net/ Dries Buytaert] Drupal founder and pioneer of open source
* '''27 - 30 July''' - Amsterdam, NL
* hangout with [http://termie.jaiku.com/ andy smith] and friends
* profile individuals at [http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/219415/ RoomWare DevHuis 6] at [http://www.wakoopa.com/ wakoopa's office]
== '''Week 4 & 5''' ==
* '''31 July''' - Eindoven, NL
* profile and hang out with [http://unraveled.com/ Joshua Kauffman]
* '''1 - 8 Aug''' - Istanbul, Turkey [http://wiki.couchsurfing.com/en/Turkey CS info]
* Hostel - http://www.chillouthc.com @ 10 euros a night
* [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cistern basilica cistern]
* [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Bazaar,_Istanbul grand bazaar]
* [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Sophia Hagia Sophia]
* [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Ahmed_Mosque the blue mosque]
* erdal aka [http://www.couchsurfing.com/profile.html?id=2I8S7TP eternity and a day]
* kenan aka [http://www.couchsurfing.com/people/keyno keyno]
* isa aka [http://www.couchsurfing.com/people/isafakir ISAFAKIR]
* still looking for more couchsurfers...