as you might know, i've been twitter'n my inner most thoughts. instead of cluttering up the public space, i'm letting loose on the private space. so far, it seems that some readers have left and others have picked up the trail... as this journey unfolds, twitter is truly beholden to the best (#2) and the worst of this trip.
despite the fact i had no money in my checking account, a few days ago i tweeted a problem with my ATM card. within a few hours, i received a facebook msg from, ruby on rails evangelist / developer and nyc buddy, jeffrey ng.
apparently, the gang at eastmedia (which jeffry is a founder) was wondering "WTF" was going on with the message... i was honest and told him that i had run out money and about to start a sponsorship drive. low and behold, east media has decided to contribute $500 to the journey.
so, to the right you'll now see a little east media logo... if you're in nyc and happen to cross their paths, look them up. they are really good people.
btw, there's an anonymous donor who will be contributing $1000 for production. does anyone else think that that is fucking amazing!!! also, i'm in discussion with a few "community" based sites who are interested in contributing funds...
Technorati Tags: east
today, a sad note arrived in my inbox. now that i have my prepay t-mobile account, i'm pissed. txt into twitter works everywhere, but not in america... bitches.
Thanks for your email. Right now we're working on getting pre-paid service supported; at this time, most prepaid phones aren't supported, with the exception of phones using Virgin Mobile. This is because most pre-paid carriers don't support text messaging to short codes, and Twitter uses a shortcode (40404) to send and receive messages. Metro PCS may allow it in some occasions, and Tracfone should work soon, but other than that, it may take some time. Sorry about that, and thanks for your patience!
Technorati Tags: twitter
today, i met the guys and gals of chipin! honestly, it really was a blade runner moment! don't worry, i promise you a complete recap of the past three days. in the meantime, i need to snag a few hours sleep. tomorrow, i'll visit pearl harbor and then depart to sanfran.
in the meantime, check out shane's tweets and rox's vlog! (why? while rox is away, shane is my live saving host! THANK TONY KATZ for the tweet!)
"keep it light enough to travel. don't let it all unravel!!" - the be good tanyas
things you should note.
- i got inked in the hindustan times! (noel is standing up and dancing the mashpotato!)
- tonight, i'm going to dinner with bangalore bloggers! many thanks to Thej who's spearheaded this gastronomical adventure.
- if you find yourself in bangalore, you MUST meet manju, his wife and their library. cradled down the street from a picturesque street lined with scooters and bicycles, this library (aka my couch) is a welcome retreat. once again it's humbling to find a large piece of humble pie.
- when i was in delhi, abby (the microsoft kidnapper) interrogated me and in my belligerent state i answered them.
- nora younis is keeping her twitter feed updated with news on the Egyptian textile workers strike. background, eight strikers were arrested for striking.
- my thai drupal buddies have laid out an impressive set of travel plans. if you know thai, please translate them for me. :)
- in the continuing world of home spun media - synchronis.tv is kicking out the jams with 35, a live sitcom in NYC. i've downloaded a few episodes and once again am amazed in the creative talent compressed within the confines of our networked boxes (ie computers!)
- around american in 2.0 is a young man's journey across the USA. back in july, matt and i first met in brooklyn and we are now on the road thinking of linking our conversations. we've debate some type of dual and i can only think of gastronomical contests. how do you think we should link our projects? (leave a comment)
- the internet is too slow for me to upload any new photos or videos. so it looks like you'll be stuck within the print! :P
1. i'm a horible speller.
2. i'm using a KDE laptop with konqueror and have to balance a mouse in one hand and a the laptop in the other. currently, i'm banging on these keys with my nose until i can find a suitable pencil to use with my mouth.
it seems that my interview with dries has made it to the front page of drupal.org - digg it. my views are starting to rise. wooot! i couldn't be happier in thinking that all of these stomach cramps are finally adding up to a hill of fava beans!
also, while i'm here in wonderful coastal town of alexandria, i have no laptop, but i do have TWITTER and JAKIU!! so don't think that i'm leaving you alone. i'm still here kicking, screaming and getting freaked out by scary hotels!
ps - many thanks to khalid and his family for showing me around town, feeding me and driving me around.
photo by templar1307
yesterday evening when i finally found some food, melisa maples twittered "listening to This American Life #339 ... if you've ever gone through a break-up, this one's for you!" ... and after a day of strange reacquaintances, i found myself cozing up to a fan, a pillow and my ipod.
long story short or maybe a long psychiatric bill cut cheep, i'm not home sick... i'm just heart broken. i know that i can't turn back and head home. regardless of that comes next, i must press on. regardless of sleepless nights filled with illusions of comfort, i am on the road.
i am on the road to see how all of our social networks, open societies and free thought, come together. from the past 53 days, i can see we are creating a world our parents could only dream. while social and economic injustice is rife, we see something different. wether out of necessity or opportunity, we press on thinking different.
btw - this american life is running a contest to remix one of the songs featured in this week's "break up" episode. check it out. it's not only heart warming, but fun!
Technorati Tags: this american life
Recoded: 17 July 2007
Locations: Berlin, Germany
Tags: coworking, travel, berlin, twittervision, dave troy, travis todd, popvox, growvotes
Music: a little boy playing the accordion, background music within coffee shop
About: while on my global hunt, i popped over to visit my friends will and sue. for two months, they are honeymooning and taking in the sites, sounds and joyful company of friends.
while i was in their company, i scheduled a few interviews. this particular interview was from travis j. todd (growvotes) and dave troy (twittervision, popvox) where we discussed everything under the sun. a thinthasied version of my thoughts can be found here.
check out more information on locations for freelancers, independents, and free thinkers, check out http://wiki.coworking.info